Inseason injury coverage
Footballguys will again provide comprehensive injury coverage during the regular season.
My writing and podcast schedule will include:
Monday Injury Rounds > Published as soon as complete Sunday night and updated through Tuesday morning, this feature will review all the major injuries from the weekend's games, provide follow up analysis on injured players who have yet to return to play, and project when every injured player will return.
Waiver Wire Podcast > Tuesday morning release reviewing all injuries at the quarterback, running back, wide receiver, and tight end positions with Cecil Lammey and Sigmund Bloom heading into your weekly waiver run.
Midweek Injury Expectations > Published late Wednesday night after the first weekly practice participation report and updated through Thursday's practice report, this feature will detail the current practice participation of every listed player and project the likelihood each player will play in the coming week.
Thursday Live Audible podcast > Joining Cecil Lammey, Sigmund Bloom, and Matt Waldman at 9:00 ET every Thursday night for a comprehensive Q&A updating all player injuries.
Gameday Injury Expectations > Published Saturday, this feature will review the practice status of every injured player, provide analysis on player/coach/beat writer comments throughout the week, and discuss how likely and how effective each injured player will be on Sunday.
Sunday Live Gameday podcast > Joining Sigmund Bloom and Matt Waldman at 10:00 ET every Sunday morning to discuss and interpret the week's practice participation reports and breaking weekend injury news.
Despite increasingly tightened infection protocols, it was inevitable the NFL would see more cases of COVID as teams travel from city to city and among their own personal bubbles. Week 12 included a COVID outbreak in Baltimore that currently has 23 players either positive and in isolation or quarantined as high-risk contacts and an entire quarterback room in Denver lost to infection and contact tracing concerns.
A full accounting of every NFL player on the COVID-reserve list is beyond the scope of this feature. Here are the current quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers, and tight ends on the list:
- QB Lamar Jackson | Nov 27 | COVID+
- QB Jeff Driskel | Nov 26 | COVID+
- QB Drew Lock | Expected | High-Risk Contact
- QB Brett Rypien | Expected | High-Risk Contact
- QB Blake Bortles | Expected | High-Risk Contact
- RB James Conner | Nov 28 | COVID+
- RB J.K. Dobbins | Nov 23 | COVID+
- RB Mark Ingram II | Nov 23 | COVID+
- RB Jonathan Taylor | Nov 28 | High-Risk Contact
- RB A.J. Dillon | Nov 2 | COVID+
- WR Adam Thielen | Nov 23 | COVID+
- WR Brandon Aiyuk | Nov 20 | COVID+
- WR Larry Fitzgerald | Nov 26 | COVID+
- WR Willie Snead IV | Nov 29 | COVID+
- TE Mark Andrews | Nov 28 | COVID+
The NFL return-to-play algorithm for those on the COVID-reserve list is as follows:
- COVID+ with symptoms: Cleared to return 10 days after symptoms first reported to team medical staff
- COVID+ without symptoms: Cleared to return 10 days after positive test or if two negative PCR tests 24 hours apart
- High-risk close contact: Cleared to return 5 days after last exposure to infected individual and negative daily PCR tests
- Low/medium risk close contact: Cleared to return if no symptoms after two negative PCR tests 24 hours apart
Each of these categories presumes a player without symptoms does not develop symptoms during the quarantine period and a COVID+ player has improvement in any symptoms after testing positive.
Some of the above players have been confirmed positive for COVID. Others are confirmed as close contacts. It's not clear which players are symptomatic and it's not known when symptoms were reported to medical staff. However, in general, you can use the above guidelines to get a rough idea of when a player is likely to return to the active roster.
Alternatively, you can refer to the table below.
This will be the new normal over the final five weeks of the regular season. Prepare for daily and unexpected adjustments to the active roster of all NFL teams.
More articles from Jene BramelSee all
Injury Rounds: 6 QB Injuries to Watch
Gameday Injury Expectations: Week 17
Injury Expectations | Midweek Update | Week 17