Years ago, when Deone Bucannon introduced himself as a "money linebacker" on Sunday Night Football, the audience had a good laugh. The term was a reference to his defensive responsibilities but conjured images in the minds of viewers of the huge game checks that Bucannon was earning at that time. Memes popped up in the following days of Bucannon on top of piles of money and gold coins. Hopefully, following the guidance given in this column will have your rosters overflowing with a wealth of IDP riches. We will primarily focus on edge rushers but will also hit on some of the other players and situations that are likely to impact teams in big play leagues. We will cover risers and fallers in the format, injury situations about which fantasy general managers need to know, and upcoming matchups to target.
Note: The defensive player injuries covered in this column are not an exhaustive list, but an attempt to cover the situations most likely to impact big play IDP squads. For more extensive coverage of injury situations, see Jene Bramel’s latest Injury Rounds column.
$ STOCK UP AND BANKRUPT $
Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan was ejected in the New Orleans loss for throwing a punch at Chiefs offensive lineman Andrew Wylie. It has already been announced that he will not be suspended for this upcoming week. He should be a good play this week, as one can read about below.
Need an upside play at linebacker this week? Think about Saints linebacker Kwon Alexander. His snap share has been over 90% the last two weeks and he has a fantastic tackle matchup with the Vikings for championship week. It is certainly a gamble, but one worth taking, especially if you are an underdog in your matchup.
Vikings linebacker Todd Davis is also a nice plug-and-play option this week against the run-heavy Saints.
$ INJURY SETTLEMENTS $
- Browns interior lineman Sheldon Richardson suffered a neck injury during Sunday Night Football and did not return.
- Jets interior lineman Quinnen Williams was evaluated for a concussion.
- Patriots edge defenders John Simon (arm) and Ja'Whaun Bentley (hamstring) both left their game and did not return.
- Vikings pass rusher Ifeadi Odenigbo injured his ankle.
- 49ers safety Jimmie Ward was concussed.
- Cowboys safety Xavier Woods suffered a chest injury.
- Buccaneers cornerback Carlton Davis hurt his groin.
- Patriots cornerback Stephon Gillmore suffered a non-contact leg injury.
$ MONEY IN THE BANK $
New Orleans Saints Pass Rushers versus Minnesota Vikings Offensive Line
The Vikings have slipped to the bottom third of the league in terms of sacks allowed with 2.4 sacks a game. They allowed three in their last contest. Cameron Jordan, Trey Henderickson, and Marcus Davenport are fine options this week for fantasy teams.
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Pass Rushers versus Detroit Lions Offensive Line