On July 27th, six members of the Footballguys staff, along with six highly regarded writers in the fantasy football community, got together to complete a 12-team, 20 round draft using the Footballguys Players Championship format. Before the draft, each of the participants answered questions regarding strategies, players they coveted and how they plan to attack the draft. Additional questions were asked after the draft based on the decisions they made. To top it off, Footballguys' Devin Knotts will provide an evaluation of each team's roster strengths and weaknesses, chronicling the strategies and decisions that were made by each participant.
The goal of this article is to give you a look into the minds of fantasy experts throughout the entire draft process. This includes preparation, decision-making, execution, and follow-up. What was their plan? Did they follow it? Why did they make the decisions they made? Some drafters had similar strategies and players of interest, but how they executed their plan and built their roster, varied from person to person.
We hope you will uncover or discover a strategy that might work for you in your draft(s) this year. Learn what players the experts are targeting and why. At Footballguys, when you win, we win! If we can help give you the tools and know-how to build a winning team, we've done our job.
- 12 teams
- 20 roster spots
- Starting Lineup
- 1 quarterback
- 2 running backs
- 2 wide receivers
- 1 tight end
- 2 flex (either a running back, wide receiver, or tight end)
- 1 Defense
- 1 Kicker
- Offensive Players Only
- 4 points - Passing Touchdown
- 6 points - Rushing/Receiving Touchdown
- 0.05 points - Passing Yard
- 0.1 points - Rushing/Receiving Yard
- 1.0 point - Reception (QB, RB, WR)
- 1.5 point - Reception (TE)
- -1 - Interception Thrown
- 2 - Two-Point Conversion (rush, pass or receive)
- 3 - Length of field goal made 0-29 yards
- 3 - Length of field goal made 30 yards and then 0.1 for every 1 yard after 30.
- 6 - Offensive recovery for Touchdown
- 6 - Number of Defensive and Special Teams Touchdowns
- Defense scoring
- 2 points - fumble recovery
- 2 points - interception caught
- 1 point - sacked quarterback
- 5 points - safety
- 12 points - 0 points allowed
- 8 points - 1-6 points allowed
- 5 points - 7-10 points allowed
- 0 points - 11-99 points allowed
- 6 points - Defensive or Special Teams Touchdown
- Alex Miglio, Footballguys
- Michelle Magdziuk, Ball Blast Podcast
- Scott Bischoff, Footballguys
- Dan Hindery, Footballguys
- Kate Magdziuk, Ball Blast Podcast
- Dan Clasgens, Sirius XM Fantasy
- Russell Clay, Fantasy Guru
- B.J. Vanderwoude, Footballguys
- Chad Parsons, Footballguys
- Justin Howe, Footballguys
- Jen Ryan, Football Diehards
- Pat Fitzmaurice, TheFootballgirl.com
DRAFT SLOT 1
Alex Miglio, Footballguys, Bio
1. Discuss drafting from the 1-hole. What will you do differently because of this draft slot?
It's likely drafting at the top of the draft means I will be taking running backs in two of the first three rounds, depending on who is available of course. My No. 1 player this year is Ezekiel Elliott, and he is one of several running backs at the top of most draft boards. I will also look to start positional runs instead of getting stuck with scraps at the end of one.
2. How will the dual-flex and tight end 1.5 PPR scoring format change how you approach this draft?
Unless something ridiculous like Travis Kelce falling to me in the second round happens, I will probably not be taking a tight end in the first few rounds. There are only three guys worth taking so early, even with the scoring bump. The second flex gives me some flexibility if people jump on the tight end position or start gobbling up running backs in the middle rounds. I will play off what the rest of the league is doing to fill those slots.
Want to see the rest?
Enter your email below to become a FREE Insider and unlock the full version of this page.
You will receive our Daily Email Update
with the latest news and fantasy analysis.
We will never spam you. Ever.
Unsubscribe at any time.
"Footballguys is the best premium
fantasy football only site on the planet."
Matthew Berry, ESPN
Money Back Guarantee
you have nothing to lose